Machine processing for smoother handling
When you are wondering what kind of postal items without a plastic wrapping can be sent as a machine-sortable item or when you are planning the appearance of an envelope, please take into account Posti’s service-specific requirements for mechanical handling. Machine-sortable items move quickly through the various stages of processing and are delivered to the recipient on schedule and in the correct form.
Machine-sortable items can be sent for a lower price
When you are planning an item—for example, the appearance of an envelope—please take into account Posti’s service-specific requirements for mechanical handling. These requirements are listed in the Guide for Machine-Sortable Items.
Machine-sortable items move quickly through the various stages of processing and are delivered to the recipient on schedule and in the correct form. Furthermore, you can save on postage fees: Your letters are delivered affordably as Standard Letters and your advertisements cost-effectively as Customer Directs.
What kinds of items can be sent as machine-sortable items?
Envelopes and postcards
- Envelopes sealed on all four sides that may contain content such as credit cards and membership cards
- A5 and A4 sized postcards without envelopes
- The item must be rectangular in shape, we recommend that you use standard envelope sizes (C6, C5, C4)
- Items wrapped in plastic
Magazines and catalogs
- Multi-page brochures
- Also items in landscape orientation
- The items may contain various kinds of cards (e.g. credit cards and membership cards).
- The item must be rectangular in shape.
- Items without plastic covering
- Tabloid publications (machine-folded, always tested separately)
- Multi-page brochures
What kinds of items cannot be sent as machine-sortable items?
Machine-sortable items may not contain hard or inflexible objects such as paper clips, keys, coins, compact discs, pens, hard-shelled samples of cosmetics, etc. These types of items must be sorted manually. The item must be manually sorted also when the measurements, form or flexibility of the item differ from the product features defined for machine-sortable products.
machine-sortable items manual
This is how you can ensure that your item is machine-sortable. Read the design guide and make a sample. Send the sample to us and we will test your item’s suitability for machine sorting: